Is that perfect moment of the year to contribute to open source projects in case you've never done it before.
How it works?
- Go to https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com/ then enter your email to wait for the final announcement.
- Once you get the email, you will see in the website a list projects where you can contribute. The projects are developed in many different technologies like
Javaand many more so you will have a lot of options to choose to offer your help as a developer.
- Then you should open the repository of the project or projects where you want to contribute to and make a fork into your personal Github account.
- Look into the opened issues with the tag
hacktoberfest, pick one and start working on it.
- Once you have finished the task of the issue you took, test as much as possible to ensure the desire functionality to finally push the code to your forked repository.
- Submit a Pull Request to the owner's repository and wait for the approval.
- You need to have at least 4 Pull Requests approved to mark your Hacktoberfest as completed!! But make sure to help in more open source projects 🙂
I have participated two times and I truly enjoy to be involved in this event. At the end you will receive a reward which in the past years has been an awesome T-shirt with some cool stickers from the partners like these.
I can assure you that you will learn a lot from this event!